Over the last few days, I’ve been putting together some stuff about the XLIFF translation editor we built. Using a GPLd tool called vnc2swf, I was able to create this demo of our translation editor. A few hiccoughs were encountered along the way (as a direct result of me writing everything in Java these days) but I think the results are pretty good. There’s no soundtrack I’m afraid, but feel free to play any music you like in the background :-)

The demo shows me loading an XLIFF file into the editor (previously converted from the source html) and then some messing about with exact and fuzzy matches found from our TM, finally backconverting the file and loading it in a browser – enjoy ! It’s probably best if you have a resolution of at least 1024×768 to view this.

So, having seen the demo, your next question is going to be “Hey Tim, that’s cool, where can I get the editor ?” – well, you’re still going to have to hang on for a bit (sorry). We’re currently running though a bit more legal stuff, but we’re nearly there. Just had a great tutorial/intro from someone over at java.net, so things are definitely moving in the right direction there too. Let me know if you find the demo interesting, or have any questions about it, I’d be happy to answer them. There’s a prize for “extreme cleverness” if anyone can spot the glitch in the demo, so pay attention !

btw. I’m not sure what the final name of the editor is going to be, so for now, I’m calling it the Sun Translation Editor : don’t think that’ll get me in trouble with anyone

UPDATE : These tools are now available, as the Open Language Tools project, on java.net – I wrote an introduction to the tools here on blogs.sun.com which you may be interested in reading.